Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221108 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7530 on: January 19, 2020, 09:00:35 PM »
Expand Quote
if you own thunders and ventures, when do you prefer to setup one vs the other? i might be crazy but they seem pretty similar
[close]

They are quite similar, but still have small differences. I don't have both right now, but Thunders have a twitcher, and more responsive turn which also results in more wheelbite whereas Ventures turn is to me like a slightly slower Indy. Ventures also seem a little bit more stable when setting up for tricks in awkward ish positions. I don't like how the wheels slide on the side of the ledge for tail and noseslides on Thunders but its fine if the ledge is slick, and I prefer the kingpin clearance of ventures for smith grind variations. Some people seem to say Ventures are a bit harder and don't grind as nice as Thunders and Indys, it might be true. I believe Thunder is working on an inverted kingpin truck, no idea if and when it will go into production though.

Been in the Thunder camp for a few months now coming from Ventures (from way back when 7.5 was a normal board size), then Indy for a hot minute. It's been said a million times but it's all in the WB. Thunders pop the best for me by far; Indys made the nose too light and I couldn't control the pop when trying to hop up ledges. They are the most "standard" truck, a "plain white bread", "dick in the vagina" type of truck. I've recently got a pair of Venture in Hi and Lo, keen to try those out on my next setup.

I would like Thunder a whole lot more if they fixed the base plate positioning, which is what I hear the new Tensor Maglight ATGs have done while maintaining a similar WB and geometry.

Makes me wonder if Tensor suddenly had a spike in their Maglight sales thanks to us going on about them over the past few months.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7531 on: January 19, 2020, 09:18:53 PM »
Expand Quote
if you own thunders and ventures, when do you prefer to setup one vs the other? i might be crazy but they seem pretty similar
[close]

Had some Thunders, now on the Venture bandwagon. I think they pop pretty similar (probably because the wheelbase on the cast versions are really close), but the similarities end there for me. I cant trust Thunders, I ate shit pushing from wheelbite. They stay centered but as soon as you want to turn it's like the knob is on 10. I respect anyone who can make them work, but I just find Ventures way more stable throughout and the lack of wheelbite is nice, even it comes at the cost of slower turning.

TLDR: I think they'd work on similar setups if you're talking about wheelbase and steepness of a deck. Beyond that it's preference in how they turn/feel.

yeah it really seems like its either you like one or the other. definitely gonna be hard to choose between the two. i like the pop, manual point, weight, and transition feel with thunders. the stability for ventures is in a tier by itself, but im still not used to everything else it has to offer. wish it wasnt so shit outside so i can really put them to the test
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7532 on: January 19, 2020, 09:21:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

They are quite similar, but still have small differences. I don't have both right now, but Thunders have a twitcher, and more responsive turn which also results in more wheelbite whereas Ventures turn is to me like a slightly slower Indy. Ventures also seem a little bit more stable when setting up for tricks in awkward ish positions. I don't like how the wheels slide on the side of the ledge for tail and noseslides on Thunders but its fine if the ledge is slick, and I prefer the kingpin clearance of ventures for smith grind variations. Some people seem to say Ventures are a bit harder and don't grind as nice as Thunders and Indys, it might be true. I believe Thunder is working on an inverted kingpin truck, no idea if and when it will go into production though.
[close]

Been in the Thunder camp for a few months now coming from Ventures (from way back when 7.5 was a normal board size), then Indy for a hot minute. It's been said a million times but it's all in the WB. Thunders pop the best for me by far; Indys made the nose too light and I couldn't control the pop when trying to hop up ledges. They are the most "standard" truck, a "plain white bread", "dick in the vagina" type of truck. I've recently got a pair of Venture in Hi and Lo, keen to try those out on my next setup.

I would like Thunder a whole lot more if they fixed the base plate positioning, which is what I hear the new Tensor Maglight ATGs have done while maintaining a similar WB and geometry.

Makes me wonder if Tensor suddenly had a spike in their Maglight sales thanks to us going on about them over the past few months.

im eyeing the 8.5 axle maglights for an 8.75 setup. the weight savings look really promising
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Weezil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #7533 on: January 19, 2020, 09:42:41 PM »
I own both, definitely prefer venture over thunder. the turn feels kinda similar but ventures are taller and seem to turn a little deeper because of that. better kingpin clearance too. coming from Indys it was easier to adjust to ventures over thunders.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #7534 on: January 20, 2020, 05:45:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I own both, definitely prefer venture over thunder. the turn feels kinda similar but ventures are taller and seem to turn a little deeper because of that. better kingpin clearance too. coming from Indys it was easier to adjust to ventures over thunders.

I've enjoyed both but I always seem to come back to Thunder because I just have more fun on them despite the wheelbite. The one thing I get annoyed at with Ventures is they feel clunky on flip tricks for me whereas Thunders feel very nimble.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 06:18:08 AM by baustin »

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #7535 on: January 20, 2020, 10:39:06 AM »
2 months in and my front riptide pivot cup is dead >:(

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #7536 on: January 20, 2020, 11:06:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I've enjoyed both but I always seem to come back to Thunder because I just have more fun on them despite the wheelbite. The one thing I get annoyed at with Ventures is they feel clunky on flip tricks for me whereas Thunders feel very nimble.

Thunders are usually my default 'wtf should I ride' trucks. Even tho I don't enjoy them on tranny (wheelbite) and since I ride super loose (wheelbite) but I love the twitchy response and pop, they're also light and trim. I don't have any on hand anymore or would have switched to them after I picked up some ventures.

Ventures...well they just don't move fast enough for me when I want them to (again I ride loose) and I still get wheelbite :P

I agree that shifty from indy to venture is easier than indy to thunder. Truth be told, if you have a manual or ledge game, Ventures are your jam. That said: Westgate.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7537 on: January 20, 2020, 11:14:37 AM »
via Imgflip Meme Generator

look at this Jacked up cruiser my sister was riding around lol
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7538 on: January 20, 2020, 12:30:45 PM »
My best friend had this same board but in Gold. What a throwback lmao

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7539 on: January 20, 2020, 04:29:39 PM »

Gonna need pics of your sis now. Gotta put a face to that board  ;)
Could you get her to pose with it for the bam thread?

satan

« Reply #7540 on: January 20, 2020, 04:32:01 PM »
Bummer. Makes me a lil worried about how long mine will last.
What trucks are you rocking?
Doing stuff like hours of frontside slappies daily?

satan

« Reply #7541 on: January 20, 2020, 04:42:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bringing it back to trucks..

Here's a hypothetical.
If you wanted a set of 149's and 159's, and had a choice between Ti or hollows, which would you choose and why?
Hollow forged but I've got cast base plates too.

Ti 149's for easier flippetty-dippety on a 8.5"?
Hollow 159's cuz +9" will be heavier anyways? And maybe risers, larger wheels.
159's might get a 8.75" popsicle but 149's would work too.
I feel like I'm over thinking this.
[close]

I prefer trucks tucked in/narrower than the board.

8.5" Deck I'd ride 8.25"/8.38" trucks

8.75" deck/8.5" trucks.

The bigger the board = lighter my truck and thinner wheel preference increases
[close]

i agree. Way less chance of landing primo ive found.
In case anyone was curious the skate gods decided for me, shop sold out of Ti 159's.
I got 149 Ti and 159 forged hollow.
$85 shipped. Did I get a good deal?

Idk about the odds of landing primo increasing but my take on axle/deck width and primos is..
Even widths, you might land primo and stick it. Sounds scary but it's not too bad.
Wider trucks than deck and it's gonna go dark side when you land primo. Not fun at speed.
Narrower would flop to the wheels from primo. Lil scary but you might slop it out and roll away.

Wider trucks for ledging is nice but I get distracted by those shiny axle nuts and just can't deal.

anon

« Reply #7542 on: January 20, 2020, 06:23:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
ace. it may be the geometry that lends itself to this issue with any pivot cup
i just like to turn a lot. but yeah, slappies are fun

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #7543 on: January 20, 2020, 06:53:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

No surprise there really, trucks fault, not the cups.

What rev ACE? I thought the last one supposedly tweaked the pivot for this very reason.

Fuck, even Theeve got their shit correct a few revs in...

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7544 on: January 20, 2020, 07:49:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Gonna need pics of your sis now. Gotta put a face to that board  ;)
Could you get her to pose with it for the bam thread?

maybe lol.

I think shes on tour rn.

Ill look for a recent pick.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7545 on: January 20, 2020, 08:17:18 PM »

my sweet pea. They are 21 years younger than i. I got to help take care of her every day.

We are legacy in fuckin punk ked.

(A)pl(E)

anon

« Reply #7546 on: January 20, 2020, 10:04:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

What rev ACE? I thought the last one supposedly tweaked the pivot for this very reason.

latest ones, with the texture. the pivot cups didn't even break in. they were really snug

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #7547 on: January 20, 2020, 10:17:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
latest ones, with the texture. the pivot cups didn't even break in. they were really snug

Can't recall, what led to the pivot cups blowing out in the earlier models? Was it just shitty materials or something to do with the angle/depth?

Weezil

« Reply #7548 on: January 21, 2020, 03:30:27 PM »
finally got a dry day even though it was cold as fuck and got the itch to skate. recently got some bones bushings because I heard they don't freeze up too bad when it's cold. tried them in a pair of spent indy 144 I had lying around, turned great but felt like it made the pop suck, figured I'd fuck around and put a pair of venture 5.8s on my board and just skate them and slipped both axles. so fucking bummed, had heelflips dialed in and nollie back 180s nice and popped today too. made my shit skate like a Walmart board though it was so bad, happened last time I had them on my board but I thought it was just cold weather or something.

back to indy I guess, I'll give these aces one more shot. bummed on the ventures though, was really loving them, but not really sold on buying another pair.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7549 on: January 21, 2020, 03:37:38 PM »
finally got a dry day even though it was cold as fuck and got the itch to skate. recently got some bones bushings because I heard they don't freeze up too bad when it's cold. tried them in a pair of spent indy 144 I had lying around, turned great but felt like it made the pop suck, figured I'd fuck around and put a pair of venture 5.8s on my board and just skate them and slipped both axles. so fucking bummed, had heelflips dialed in and nollie back 180s nice and popped today too. made my shit skate like a Walmart board though it was so bad, happened last time I had them on my board but I thought it was just cold weather or something.

back to indy I guess, I'll give these aces one more shot. bummed on the ventures though, was really loving them, but not really sold on buying another pair.

bitter bushings if they still exists. They're Canadian so you know theyre good.

I dont know what to say about the axles. Venture is not known for slipping axles. Quite the opposite actually.

I remember we all stopped fucking with indy over slipping axles. The feather lite and the gk truck was the first i think to guarantee no axle bite.

Send them in?
(A)pl(E)

Weezil

« Reply #7550 on: January 21, 2020, 03:47:59 PM »
Sent an email from the dlx website, skated indy forever and maybe had it only happen on only 1 or 2 pairs. every time I've jumped ship it's been a nightmare, but this is the first pair of trucks I've actually felt my skating improve a little bit so I'm a little torn, I'm really liking the geometry. skater or the gear kind of situation. Good to know it's not a brand trait though, I've never slipped both axles on a brand new pair of trucks so I was like damn what do. Love dlx but haven't had the best time with their trucks, just the wheels and boards, always loved the look of ventures and thunders though. 

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #7551 on: January 21, 2020, 06:07:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Here's a hypothetical.
If you wanted a set of 149's and 159's, and had a choice between Ti or hollows, which would you choose and why?

[close]

8.75" deck/8.5" trucks.

[close]

[close]
In case anyone was curious the skate gods decided for me, shop sold out of Ti 159's.

I would say 85 for two pairs of trucks with one being ti is pretty good

satan

« Reply #7552 on: January 21, 2020, 06:14:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Here's a hypothetical.

[close]

8.75" deck/8.5" trucks.

[close]

[close]

[close]
Yeah. I was just teasing. Thanks for finally noticing :'(
Ti for $50. Forged $32. Standard $27
Thundera ti $45. Regs $25-28
Venture $22
Krux hollow $28. Regs $22
Should I put the link here or sale gear?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #7553 on: January 21, 2020, 06:27:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Here's a hypothetical.

[close]

8.75" deck/8.5" trucks.

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
Yeah. I was just teasing. Thanks for finally noticing :'(
Ti for $50. Forged $32. Standard $27
Thundera ti $45. Regs $25-28
Venture $22
Krux hollow $28. Regs $22
Should I put the link here or sale gear?

Sale gear please, would like to check this sale out

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7554 on: January 21, 2020, 07:19:55 PM »
Spent Saturday on Ace 44s and Sunday on Thunder 151s. I'm down to axle on both pairs. Here's what I learned but already knew....

I like the wider trucks even for flip tricks. 44s are too narrow for my taste but 55s too wide. My snap was better on Thunders even with 1/4" risers. My ollies were sloppy and back foot flappy on the Aces. Thunders grind better on rugged curbs, no question.

You just can't beat that Ace turn.... And that's a big deal.

I'll never reconcile... Maybe an Ace 8.75" truck with harder metal will convince me.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7555 on: January 21, 2020, 08:06:21 PM »
Spent Saturday on Ace 44s and Sunday on Thunder 151s. I'm down to axle on both pairs. Here's what I learned but already knew....

I like the wider trucks even for flip tricks. 44s are too narrow for my taste but 55s too wide. My snap was better on Thunders even with 1/4" risers. My ollies were sloppy and back foot flappy on the Aces. Thunders grind better on rugged curbs, no question.

I'll never reconcile... Maybe an Ace 8.75" truck with harder metal will convince me.

sorry to tell you but aces will always react like that unless you ride a deck with less fingers of flat. rode 44s and owned 55s and it was the same deal. the way the lever works when the axles are pushed in like that will always result in less pop. the longer the distance the end of the tail is from the axle, the floppier the pop gets. im no scientist but i dont think any normal amount of riser or wheel size can change that about aces.

from my experience and observations, thats just the ace geometry. yeah the turn is nice but its not worth me not getting anything else to work. and the QC? if they cant get it right next run, forget about it completely

satan

« Reply #7556 on: January 21, 2020, 08:15:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

sorry to tell you but aces will always react like that unless you ride a deck with less fingers of flat. rode 44s and owned 55s and it was the same deal. the way the lever works when the axles are pushed in like that will always result in less pop. the longer the distance the end of the tail is from the axle, the floppier the pop gets. im no scientist but i dont think any normal amount of riser or wheel size can change that about aces.

from my experience and observations, thats just the ace geometry. yeah the turn is nice but its not worth me not getting anything else to work. and the QC? if they cant get it right next run, forget about it completely
Fewer
GoT jokes..

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #7557 on: January 21, 2020, 08:16:49 PM »
I have some Film hollow kingpin 6.0 (8.625 axle) trucks coming tomorrow.  Co designed by Eric Sentianin (dude who designed the Tensor ATG) I have pretty high hopes for them.

Will report back with pics and effective wheelbase measurement

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7558 on: January 21, 2020, 08:17:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Pretty much this. If you want to get a more controlled pop on Aces you can move your back foot into the pocket, thereby shortening that distance, but changing the way you skate for trucks is sort of counter productive. I think Aces are beyond my capability, for the same reasons you said, but that's just me.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7559 on: January 21, 2020, 08:18:24 PM »
I have some Film hollow kingpin 6.0 (8.625 axle) trucks coming tomorrow.  Co designed by Eric Sentianin (dude who designed the Tensor ATG) I have pretty high hopes for them.

Will report back with pics and effective wheelbase measurement

Nice. Looking forward to it.