Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232393 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10200 on: June 03, 2021, 06:49:07 PM »
So I went out and bought the same gorilla glue clear epoxy as the guy in that YouTube video and did it just like him, I poured way too much in there and it gooped all over my baseplate and I had to wipe it a lot. I didn't think to get all up in the threads with a q-tip to wipe away any epoxy before it hardened, but I did a decent job with just a paper towel. Good thing I had nitrile gloves that shit was a toxic mess. I have a strong feeling I fucked up and it's gonna harden and I won't be able loosen or tighten the inverted kingpin because the threads will be bonded. I suck at anything remotely handy.

I tried to wiggle the stock ace kingpins before I hammered them out to see if they were loose at all, they weren't. But I noticed one baseplate I can wiggle the inverted kingpin back and forth quite a bit, while the other one only slightly. Does anyone know if the hole is going to keep widening causing the kingpin to have even more wobble? I guess that's why they put the shaft nut in those Indy baseplates :-\ shalom

So I take from this that the nut is moving? If that's the case, I would suggest that you either failed to get the epoxy where it needed to go or else you didn't allow enough time for the stuff to cure. It will appear hard enough after 12 hours, but a full 24 is the bare minimum amount of time before it should be interacted with aggressively.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 336
« Reply #10201 on: June 03, 2021, 06:55:13 PM »
I didn't move the kingpin or nut whatsoever after the epoxy was poured, just finished maybe an hour ago. I meant before I did it, I tightened the new nut onto the inverted kingpin a few threads in, then pulled it nice and flush up against the baseplate where it would properly sit, and I was able to wiggle the inverted kingpin back and forth a little bit with some good play going on, so I thought maybe that could potentially get worse over time? I might be tripping about the epoxy in the threads cause I noticed the final results of how the dude's epoxy job looked in that video looks exactly like how mine does, so I might be good. Shalom

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10202 on: June 04, 2021, 02:30:34 AM »
Setup my new 149 tit indys...one axle was machined weird (or not enough), it was difficult  to get the wheels on (one more than the other), but not so bad I thought it to be a major issue, and once on, wheel is so difficult to get off the bearing will stay the axle when I yank the wheel off and it's impossible to get the bearing off...I've tried everything, started to bang off the bearing to no use, so now I've got a bronson ceramic stuck mid axle on a truck I can't fucking use, fucking livid right now.

Newer China-indys, no cross and 149 under the hanger.

Leaving it as is (yes those are hammer to truck rage marks (bearing still spins).

I have seen that a number of times over the years, almost always with rust getting in to things, so the axle with rust was thicker, which was resolved quite easily with a bit of Mob grip leftover wrapped around the axle and used like sandpaper.  That same process may or may not work on that axle too, but doing that for about a minute usually gets enough material off the axle to be able to get the bearing on and off without too much trouble.

Note some bearings have wider centers than others too, which was interesting to note, as one brand just wouldn't fit at all but another brand fit easily with one random set of trucks that had thicker axles than usual.

Also had to deal with bearings rusted on to the axle too, and a couple that were stuck like that, even after one guy cut the whole wheel off to try to get at the bearing, but this is what worked the best:

Put the complete board on the side, that axle end down on the solid concrete ground and sit some grips, pliers or something over the bearing, almost gripping the axle but not quite.  Then use the hammer and hit the grips in a downward motion as close to the axle as you can and that should result in your bearing staying in one piece and the grips forcing the whole bearing off the axle.

I have also used a short / medium flat head screwdriver jammed against the bearing core and axle and hammer, going more gently hitting on one side then the other until it has come off, from being in the same position (axle facing down and end on the ground) letting gravity do the work for you too.

Push the speed rings down so you are hitting / pressing on them too.

@Vitriol has the right way of it, only it is harder to get into that position and I try to always do things in the simplest way with the least amount of tools possible, given most of the issues are either at the shop or at a skatepark / spot where you might not have everything at your disposal.

Gnarred for effort though!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10203 on: June 04, 2021, 05:42:41 AM »
So I went out and bought the same gorilla glue clear epoxy as the guy in that YouTube video and did it just like him, I poured way too much in there and it gooped all over my baseplate and I had to wipe it a lot. I didn't think to get all up in the threads with a q-tip to wipe away any epoxy before it hardened, but I did a decent job with just a paper towel. Good thing I had nitrile gloves that shit was a toxic mess. I have a strong feeling I fucked up and it's gonna harden and I won't be able loosen or tighten the inverted kingpin because the threads will be bonded. I suck at anything remotely handy.

I tried to wiggle the stock ace kingpins before I hammered them out to see if they were loose at all, they weren't. But I noticed one baseplate I can wiggle the inverted kingpin back and forth quite a bit, while the other one only slightly. Does anyone know if the hole is going to keep widening causing the kingpin to have even more wobble? I guess that's why they put the shaft nut in those Indy baseplates :-\ shalom

This might have been put up a few times before and apologies if you don't have Instagram to be able to go through the comments and information, but this guy by far has the most comprehensive and successful conversion techniques.

This is the comment from this post alone, but that hashtag is seriously good for any inverted kingpin info, pics, videos, etc:

Good day as any to flip your kingpins.

NEVER HANG UP AGAIN

Victor Earhart showed me this hack long before ‘Grind Kings’ were ‘invented.’
In fact -inverted kingpins are older than Urethane Skateboard wheels. The first roller skates had inverted kingpins since 1905.

Instead of DMing with questions.
Study the photos and check out
#fuckwithyourtrucks
It’s all in there

slutbang666

• Rep: 2
« Reply #10204 on: June 04, 2021, 06:54:23 AM »
Has anyone had any luck going from 149 to 147s and maintaining their 50 50s on tranny? Ledges are fine on smaller trucks but I blow 50 50s and pivot fakies on smaller trucks.

TimmyB88

• Rep: -11
« Reply #10205 on: June 04, 2021, 10:26:51 AM »
Has anyone had any luck going from 149 to 147s and maintaining their 50 50s on tranny? Ledges are fine on smaller trucks but I blow 50 50s and pivot fakies on smaller trucks.

Go back up to the adult sized trucks. Better yet go 159ers!  ;D

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #10206 on: June 04, 2021, 05:25:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Or get into the happy medium that 148s are.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #10207 on: June 04, 2021, 05:31:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Inarguably the GREATEST skater of our times, Ishod, skates 147s.

I’ve been having the most fun on ace 44c/55c, abs 5.8s, but yeah

slutbang666

« Reply #10208 on: June 04, 2021, 06:32:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Or get into the happy medium that 148s are.

I’ve rode 144 independents and 148 thunders still threw me off. It’s Probably more of a mental thing.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10209 on: June 04, 2021, 08:18:11 PM »
standard thunders 8.0 + 1/8 hard plastic risers - 1/3 of the kingpin nut thread showing

turns like shit but If i go any looser it starts getting daewonny

grinds and pops like a dream (14.5wb) at least on perfect park ledges, i lost my slappys, they don't climb anymore
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10210 on: June 04, 2021, 08:34:51 PM »

Muscle memory is not something to doubt.

If you are so used to a certain width truck, it is often weird to change, even a little bit.

Ishod runs 147s with 3 washers on the inside of each wheel, which makes them pretty much 148s anyway.

You could do the same which will bring the wheels out another couple of mm on each side and make them a bit more like wider trucks, but there are still going to be differences.

What size deck do you ride them on?

logjammin

« Reply #10211 on: June 04, 2021, 08:50:39 PM »

IKP turned out to be a success! Did a low top Ace bushing for more clearance. Hi bottom to maintain geo with a flat washer. I still scraped on the edge of it a couple times being at a sharp angle on this steep/mini almost jersey barrier-esque obstacle at my local, but I suppose no IKP will be immune to gettin touched. Thanks to everyone who responded! Shalom

Oh, and Ace risers have a perfect cutout in the "C" part so the IKP doesn't poke into the riser or deck

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #10212 on: June 05, 2021, 07:15:06 AM »

IKP turned out to be a success! Did a low top Ace bushing for more clearance. Hi bottom to maintain geo with a flat washer. I still scraped on the edge of it a couple times being at a sharp angle on this steep/mini almost jersey barrier-esque obstacle at my local, but I suppose no IKP will be immune to gettin touched. Thanks to everyone who responded! Shalom

Oh, and Ace risers have a perfect cutout in the "C" part so the IKP doesn't poke into the riser or deck

That looks so clean! Happy it worked out for you

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10213 on: June 05, 2021, 08:53:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That looks so clean! Happy it worked out for you

Yeah, this looks great. Enjoy!

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #10214 on: June 05, 2021, 10:42:06 AM »

Yes, I have and I much preferred the 147s to the 149s. I ran 2 washers on the inside of the wheels with the 147s and rode them with 8.1"-8.25" decks. But once 148s came out I switched to those because they are a little taller and I get less wheel bite. I still have a few sets of 147s and I will set them up from time to time and they always feel great except for fakie tricks on flat. Always bad wheel bite.

I skate a lot of transition and grinds of any kind just lock in better for me on 147s.
How much for an order of ribs?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10215 on: June 05, 2021, 11:45:03 AM »

Is that the titanium bolt from the hardware supplier?

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #10216 on: June 05, 2021, 02:35:08 PM »
Does no washers on the inside work ok or Will it stop the wheel?

logjammin

« Reply #10217 on: June 05, 2021, 08:25:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah I have it bookmarked on my laptop or else I'd throw the link in here but it was from "speedway motors" shalom

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10218 on: June 05, 2021, 08:35:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah I have it bookmarked on my laptop or else I'd throw the link in here but it was from "speedway motors" shalom

I'm going to guess this
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Lite-Titanium-Seat-Bolt-3-8-24-Thread-x-2-Inch,34338.html

or this
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Lite-Titanium-Seat-Bolt-3-8-24-Thread-x-2-1-4-Inch,33371.html

Either way, glad to see that it worked. I can't justify sinking the cash into my clapped out trucks which already work perfectly well with the Krux kingpin, but this seems like relevant information for this thread. I'm curious, did you happen to weigh them?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10219 on: June 05, 2021, 08:41:09 PM »
Does no washers on the inside work ok or Will it stop the wheel?

It often depends on which truck, which bearings and even sometimes if you run bearings with or without shields.

Some bearings have a much wider middle bit than others, some trucks have almost a built in washer (Ace AF1) and some have big wide ends that anything will catch on, etc.

Best way is set them up without and have a roll around and then check to see if there is any rubbing.

slutbang666

« Reply #10220 on: June 05, 2021, 08:42:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you are so used to a certain width truck, it is often weird to change, even a little bit.

Ishod runs 147s with 3 washers on the inside of each wheel, which makes them pretty much 148s anyway.

You could do the same which will bring the wheels out another couple of mm on each side and make them a bit more like wider trucks, but there are still going to be differences.

I ride an 8 or 8.18 now but  I rode an 8.5 for 15 years straight with 149 independents. I love the smaller boards with shorter wb because I’m short, I just skate ramps on 8 inch trucks.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #10221 on: June 05, 2021, 08:52:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is very true, I’m gonna reveal my secret now

I went back to 129/145/5.0/whatever size number is below 8 they call it anymore and my skating has been so much better

Greatly

I can tre flip first try, and all because my trucks are so much in the tipping and all that is quicker and lighter and I’m back to riding 7.8-8

I’m back to the early 2000’s boys

Maybe my shoe size/feet barely ever grew so my ratio were never to be modified

Size 9 shoe btw if anyone’s wondering my shoe size to board size ratio
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10222 on: June 05, 2021, 10:43:32 PM »
Those kingpins would look way better than that mindy mess...

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #10223 on: June 05, 2021, 11:18:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is very true, I’m gonna reveal my secret now

I went back to 129/145/5.0/whatever size number is below 8 they call it anymore and my skating has been so much better

Greatly

I can tre flip first try, and all because my trucks are so much in the tipping and all that is quicker and lighter and I’m back to riding 7.8-8

I’m back to the early 2000’s boys

Maybe my shoe size/feet barely ever grew so my ratio were never to be modified

Size 9 shoe btw if anyone’s wondering my shoe size to board size ratio

Nice one man

I'm running venture low 5.0 on an 8 and life is a dream.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10224 on: June 06, 2021, 03:48:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I ride an 8 or 8.18 now but  I rode an 8.5 for 15 years straight with 149 independents. I love the smaller boards with shorter wb because I’m short, I just skate ramps on 8 inch trucks.

Ha yeah it is almost the opposite - had the 8.12 on 147 thunders or more commonly 139 Indy trucks for a long time, but getting more lazy and happy on bigger the 149s on around 8.5 is easier nowdays.

Curious to see if the extra inside washer thing makes any difference, not a worry if you try it or not.

logjammin

« Reply #10225 on: June 06, 2021, 04:13:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm going to guess this
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Lite-Titanium-Seat-Bolt-3-8-24-Thread-x-2-Inch,34338.html

or this
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Lite-Titanium-Seat-Bolt-3-8-24-Thread-x-2-1-4-Inch,33371.html

Either way, glad to see that it worked. I can't justify sinking the cash into my clapped out trucks which already work perfectly well with the Krux kingpin, but this seems like relevant information for this thread. I'm curious, did you happen to weigh them?

Thanks man! I think I did the first link, cause I remember the one review some dude says the Allen hole rounded out right away which obviously he must've done something wrong lol. I did not weigh them as I didn't have a scale. They feel like they're probably the same weight or less than a krux pin.

Interesting turn of events though, cause late last night I started hearing a clicking coming from the pins. I disassembled, then screwed just the pints back into the baseplates with a few threads sticking out, sure enough, the kingpin holes in the baseplates widened and now there's play back and forth. I'm just going to be done with my old 44's and start on my AF1's now. I was kinda pissed off about it at first but whatever, they're trucks. I can't go back to Indy and have a worse turn with the IKP plates, I'll just get the Ace kingpin rethreader thing and use that down the line when my kingpin gets fucked. Shalom

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #10226 on: June 07, 2021, 12:20:29 PM »
Okay, so I got my first sent of Indys. Coming from Ventures, I now understand why people say the latter don't turn. So I ask all you Indy guys, do I adjust, crank that kingpin, put in harder bushings, or what? I'm about 200lbs. A little guy but it's mostly muscle. Not gonna trim much weight.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #10227 on: June 07, 2021, 01:02:37 PM »
Okay, so I got my first sent of Indys. Coming from Ventures, I now understand why people say the latter don't turn. So I ask all you Indy guys, do I adjust, crank that kingpin, put in harder bushings, or what? I'm about 200lbs. A little guy but it's mostly muscle. Not gonna trim much weight.

I am around the same weight as you. I found the blue indy aftermarket bushings really nice and you probably don't need to crank the nuts down too much. Depends, how much turn you want from your trucks. The blue bushings are 92a if I remember correctly. Cylinder for a stable turn, Conical for a bit more surfy turn. Hope, that helps a little.
IG: @flowterspace

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10228 on: June 07, 2021, 01:05:42 PM »
Harder bushings > tightening trucks. Always.

Do give your stock bushings a chance to firm up, though. They often do and it feels perfect.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #10229 on: June 07, 2021, 01:18:10 PM »

I'm 182 and use the blue ones (92a).  At 200 you may want the black (94a).   Pick them both up and mess around.  Maybe even a black top and blue bottom.....