Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231172 times)

TheCrimsonShroud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 98
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10230 on: June 07, 2021, 02:04:24 PM »
Harder bushings > tightening trucks. Always.

Do give your stock bushings a chance to firm up, though. They often do and it feels perfect.

Yeah, in my experience fucking with the kingpin is usually more trouble than it’s worth. I really like the turn on them now, I could just use a little less surf for when I do kick tricks lol. I’ll probably implement advice in stages. Give em some time, put some harder ones in half if necessary, etc. Thanks, Slappers.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #10231 on: June 07, 2021, 03:24:58 PM »
Okay, so I got my first sent of Indys. Coming from Ventures, I now understand why people say the latter don't turn. So I ask all you Indy guys, do I adjust, crank that kingpin, put in harder bushings, or what? I'm about 200lbs. A little guy but it's mostly muscle. Not gonna trim much weight.

205er here.
I rode loose Indy’s for 18 years and from experience, the stock orange bushings get a bit firmer over time as they break in, you’ll get used to it. Play with the tightness a bit ‘til it suits you, they’re a bit of a bitch to break in when you’re not used to it. Ventures might feel even slower after a few months on Indy’s.

Only other bushings I’ve ever tried with Indy’s were the blue conical bushings for their low truck, which made them really loose, or yellow Doh-Doh’s which made the turn a bit slower, other than that, I always rode them stock.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #10232 on: June 08, 2021, 03:35:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone had any luck going from 149 to 147s and maintaining their 50 50s on tranny? Ledges are fine on smaller trucks but I blow 50 50s and pivot fakies on smaller trucks.
[close]

Muscle memory is not something to doubt.

If you are so used to a certain width truck, it is often weird to change, even a little bit.

[close]

This is very true, I’m gonna reveal my secret now

I went back to 129/145/5.0/whatever size number is below 8 they call it anymore and my skating has been so much better

Greatly

I can tre flip first try, and all because my trucks are so much in the tipping and all that is quicker and lighter and I’m back to riding 7.8-8

I’m back to the early 2000’s boys

Maybe my shoe size/feet barely ever grew so my ratio were never to be modified

Size 9 shoe btw if anyone’s wondering my shoe size to board size ratio
[close]

Nice one man

I'm running venture low 5.0 on an 8 and life is a dream.

Thanks man, ha that’s one of my quiver setups

Got a generator/bbs 8” with some rare 5.0 ventures

Rare because for the life of me almost no one sells venture 5.0 anymore or they were way over priced for some regular solid team set

I get it, no one rides small stuff they don’t sell but venture 5.0?? Those were the bees knees back in the day

Janoski, pj and probably even Gino rode 5.0 ventures
yes

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #10233 on: June 08, 2021, 09:25:50 AM »

These with bones hards (100kgs 6”3 here) have been my trusty cruising trucks for a while now. They are really low and thats how I rode them for ages. Then one day I thought I’d chuck some big krooked risers on and man it felt so much better for ollies n shit. Risers and soft wheels feels like you have suspension on rough surfaces. But I have SML Tom Knox 53’s atm on it. Damn fine wheel

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10234 on: June 08, 2021, 06:05:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Setup my new 149 tit indys...one axle was machined weird (or not enough), it was difficult  to get the wheels on (one more than the other), but not so bad I thought it to be a major issue, and once on, wheel is so difficult to get off the bearing will stay the axle when I yank the wheel off and it's impossible to get the bearing off...I've tried everything, started to bang off the bearing to no use, so now I've got a bronson ceramic stuck mid axle on a truck I can't fucking use, fucking livid right now.

Newer China-indys, no cross and 149 under the hanger.

Leaving it as is (yes those are hammer to truck rage marks (bearing still spins).

[close]

You could try dis to generate more force

Finally got it off after days of fuckery...no vice, which would have helped a ton; I drizzled some bronson ceramic oil over the axle at the bearing and let it sit for a day, after some major effort I finally got the bearing off without fucking it up (though I think I lightly sprained my thumb trying to get the bearing off :o ).

Picked up a cheap-o rotary tool off Amazon and got the axle worked enough to where I can get a bearing on and off (slight effort still, has to be at the right angle or it sticks but I can get a wheel on and off, even if it's not perfect/easy); it's hard to get at the axle where it meets the face of the hanger as the bearing would get stuck there, because of the handle of the tool causing it to angle in due to it touching the axle when trying to work...but it's enough that it doesn't look like the axle is krooked/wonky to have any inner race issues when riding (wheels spin on it fine) and the hanger face is still smooth (I use two speed rings so that's moot really); I've yet to skate them but I'm assuming everything is fine now...at least that wheel won't fly off if the nut somehow falls off...

Big pain in the ass really (especially after getting the fucked up pair or ACEAF1s)...but NHS hooked me up with a 'team box' of hard and soft goods which arrived today! Proper CS right there (told them I'd be fine with just a hanger and one bearing) as they went above and beyond.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10235 on: June 08, 2021, 06:22:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Setup my new 149 tit indys...one axle was machined weird (or not enough), it was difficult  to get the wheels on (one more than the other), but not so bad I thought it to be a major issue, and once on, wheel is so difficult to get off the bearing will stay the axle when I yank the wheel off and it's impossible to get the bearing off...I've tried everything, started to bang off the bearing to no use, so now I've got a bronson ceramic stuck mid axle on a truck I can't fucking use, fucking livid right now.

Newer China-indys, no cross and 149 under the hanger.

Leaving it as is (yes those are hammer to truck rage marks (bearing still spins).

[close]

You could try dis to generate more force

[close]

Finally got it off after days of fuckery...no vice, which would have helped a ton; I drizzled some bronson ceramic oil over the axle at the bearing and let it sit for a day, after some major effort I finally got the bearing off without fucking it up (though I think I lightly sprained my thumb trying to get the bearing off :o ).

Picked up a cheap-o rotary tool off Amazon and got the axle worked enough to where I can get a bearing on and off (slight effort still, has to be at the right angle or it sticks but I can get a wheel on and off, even if it's not perfect/easy); it's hard to get at the axle where it meets the face of the hanger as the bearing would get stuck there, because of the handle of the tool causing it to angle in due to it touching the axle when trying to work...but it's enough that it doesn't look like the axle is krooked/wonky to have any inner race issues when riding (wheels spin on it fine) and the hanger face is still smooth (I use two speed rings so that's moot really); I've yet to skate them but I'm assuming everything is fine now...at least that wheel won't fly off if the nut somehow falls off...

Big pain in the ass really (especially after getting the fucked up pair or ACEAF1s)...but NHS hooked me up with a 'team box' of hard and soft goods which arrived today! Proper CS right there (told them I'd be fine with just a hanger and one bearing) as they went above and beyond.
You know we're waiting for a photo from that "team box"
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10236 on: June 10, 2021, 10:35:29 AM »

@moonordie

149 Mids and Standards
LS/SS ugly never to be worn in public bronson shirts
Raglan sweatshirt (black sleeves) with a cool hidden hoodie front style pocket, it's sort of reversed/inside (not a fan of hoodies so this is great)
Misc

Shout out to the lurking NHS crew!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 03:22:13 PM by Xen »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10237 on: June 10, 2021, 06:48:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@moonordie

149 Mids and Standards
Raglan sweatshirt (black sleeves) with a cool hidden hoodie front style pocket, it's sort of reversed/inside (not a fan of hoodies so this is great)
Misc

Niceeeeeee
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #10238 on: June 10, 2021, 10:15:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@moonordie

149 Mids and Standards
Misc

Misc = 2 x Bronson Ceramics, damn
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10239 on: June 11, 2021, 11:12:54 AM »
Well stickers and pins hats was more of the misc category

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #10240 on: June 12, 2021, 09:30:08 AM »
Indy 139 Reynolds stage 11s
- 8.125 boards, 53mm wheels
- aftermarket Indy medium bushings

I also ride a slightly looser front truck with both kingpin nuts not completely flush, though I tighten them as I skate them more. I don't modify or remove parts from my trucks 'cause it seems contrary to the way they were designed to be used but that's just my OCD. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to fuck with them a bit.

i use to ride a loose truck up front and tigher in the back but been skating more switch than regular and find that it makes my switch unstable, so keep them the same so the board feels the same no matter what stance im riding.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #10241 on: June 12, 2021, 01:23:14 PM »

I also ride a slightly looser front truck with both kingpin nuts not completely flush, though I tighten them as I skate them more. I don't modify or remove parts from my trucks 'cause it seems contrary to the way they were designed to be used but that's just my OCD. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to fuck with them a bit.

I'm with you on that. Hell, I don't change the laces in my shoes unless I have to. I kinda feel like things were designed a way for a reason.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10242 on: June 12, 2021, 01:23:45 PM »
So Indy offers conical aftermarket bushings and I've never tried them so I'm finally going to pull the trigger. Conical being the same shape as bones bushings.

Anyways, I'm torn between the blue color (92a) or the red (88a). I'm a little over 200lbs and I can't ride super soft bushings, but hards take forever to break in, so I've always stuck with medium Bones. However, Indy's red ones which are considered soft, are 88a and not ridiculously soft like Bones' 81a. Anyone think I'd be good with the red ones, or should I not risk destroying them quickly and go with the blues?

Get the 90a orange conicals

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #10243 on: June 12, 2021, 09:56:26 PM »
currently on 8.125 control wood with

149 thunder team Eds (2 washers on inside) and 54mm sml wheels (not v cut) and 1/8 risers

the 8.125/8.5 truck combo was strange at first because despite having like a shorter nose and pointier feeling tail it felt manageable, and turning was still nice (still wheel bite if I stand directly on a wheel like thunder always does) with the risers and big wheels.

pinch was amazing. every crook on a nice buttery ledge could hang on for ages and popping out felt a bit better too for some reason. 5050s are good too but on the off chance they slip off it feels kinda violent (extra truck space making it feel a bit accelerated when you slip out)

really wanna stay on <8.25 decks now though because long decks are apparently my pet peeve now (makes sense, im a 30in pant leg length)

overall kinda happy with this combo. really liking this deck though because its so short (almost 31.5) so flip tricks including switch heels and whatnot are pretty good (pop stupid high), could do with slightly mellower kicks but fingers of flat lets it do its thing

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10244 on: June 14, 2021, 09:34:12 AM »
Has anyone put an inverted kingpin into a forged plate, and if so is the OG kingpin harder to get out?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #10245 on: June 14, 2021, 09:40:31 AM »
Has anyone put an inverted kingpin into a forged plate, and if so is the OG kingpin harder to get out?
I was able to knock out one, but the other wouldn't budge. I flattened the threading out and by that point, the threads were so flared out, it wouldn't have come out even if I was able to hammer it loose. I wouldn't recommend trying to hammer them, but if you have a friend who works with cars or machinery, maybe he can lend you an industrial press.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10246 on: June 14, 2021, 09:48:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I was able to knock out one, but the other wouldn't budge. I flattened the threading out and by that point, the threads were so flared out, it wouldn't have come out even if I was able to hammer it loose. I wouldn't recommend trying to hammer them, but if you have a friend who works with cars or machinery, maybe he can lend you an industrial press.

Thank you, very good to know.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10247 on: June 14, 2021, 10:55:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thank you, very good to know.

Heating them in an oven helps, but it's tough either way; I did it with forged Thunders once (hammer and a parking block, nut on btw, and the pin centered over the parking block hole), it's a shallow baseplate so the kingpin nut dug into the deck a little bit. Wasn't worth it in the long run (it never is unless you have tools as it's always a hassle).

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #10248 on: June 14, 2021, 10:55:32 PM »
I'm at axle again. This is the first time my back truck hit axle first since I was a little kid
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #10249 on: June 15, 2021, 05:51:30 AM »
Does anyone know where to buy titanium light III 148 or 149 trucks? I can’t find them anywhere. I did try using the search function. No luck

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #10250 on: June 15, 2021, 06:56:17 AM »
Does anyone know where to buy titanium light III 148 or 149 trucks? I can’t find them anywhere. I did try using the search function. No luck
yeah im looking for titanium 148's too.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #10251 on: June 15, 2021, 08:57:17 AM »
I only found hollows when I looked
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10252 on: June 15, 2021, 10:25:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah im looking for titanium 148's too.

Was looking myself, they've been MIA for over a year now; hollow lights are the lightest you can get right now.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #10253 on: June 15, 2021, 07:03:35 PM »
I know this has already been explored and maybe tested to death, but I had a play with some IKP baseplates, more just for show and tell, but this is what I did yesterday, when they got here.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/independent-ikp-baseplate-set

Independent Inverted Kingpin Baseplate set, or IKP for short

OCD Skateshop had 20% off trucks and wheels including these new Indy baseplate sets, so I got some as people had been asking about them. I also got some new Indy trucks and after they arrived today, I did a little swap and measure of the normal standard 149 trucks with the inverted kingpin baseplates, as per pictures provided, along with my personal preference set aside for this experiment (as I prefer normal standard kingpin assemblies to IKP versions).

The first thing I noticed was the inverted kingpin itself doesn't have a particularly long thread, so I tightened these down as far as they would go, which wasn't that much with the truck still feeling fairly loose overall. They sit a few mm below the standard kingpin at that height, but apart from that they are almost the same in terms of the baseplates, with maybe a slightly different angle of the kingpin to the normal ones, but it was minimal. The IKP has a special nut that sits inside the baseplate, so there is no way you will be taking these out to change them over, but you can always use any other brand kingpin to put into them.

The other interesting thing was to see how much clearance there was on the IKP set compared to standards, as per the last pic showing the angle of them when sitting on the hanger and resting on the kingpin, with the IKP version definitely having a lower profile.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #10254 on: June 22, 2021, 01:04:29 PM »
Anyone use aftermarket bushings that aren't bones? Got a set of Indy forged hollows coming my way (been on Ace or Film for the last year) and wondering what people think work best. Definitely like the base level looseness of Ace and Film, by which I mean I can crank down the kingpin to be showing a thread or two at least and they still carve like crazy but have a stability that makes setting up for flicks and balancing manny tricks a lot easier... wondering if anything gets indy feeling similar.

I'm tiny at like 130lbs, skate mostly street (ledges, Manny pads etc.) if that matters

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #10255 on: June 22, 2021, 01:10:49 PM »
Indy aftermarket bushings are always a staple.
I had Doh-Dohs and they felt mushy.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10256 on: June 22, 2021, 04:10:08 PM »
Anyone use aftermarket bushings that aren't bones? Got a set of Indy forged hollows coming my way (been on Ace or Film for the last year) and wondering what people think work best. Definitely like the base level looseness of Ace and Film, by which I mean I can crank down the kingpin to be showing a thread or two at least and they still carve like crazy but have a stability that makes setting up for flicks and balancing manny tricks a lot easier... wondering if anything gets indy feeling similar.

I'm tiny at like 130lbs, skate mostly street (ledges, Manny pads etc.) if that matters

I am often surprised by how reasonable the stock Indy bushings are these days, especially considering being somewhat of an Indy lifer, the old stock bushings would not even get a stand on and I would be taking them off before I even stood on the board.

The Stage 11 trucks come with 90 duro and bounce back really well, almost right from go if you are not too heavy on your board and ease them in, eg first session just roll around on them feeling them out and more so carving than doing big tricks (even on flat) but if they do feel a touch too tight from go, cut a mm or so from the top bushing and they loosen up a whole lot more as well.

That said, I have a lifetime supply of the 92 duro low head bushings which I know and love, right from the first session, so all my trucks have those, as well as the aftermarket Indy bushings being really good and long lasting too.

Maybe try them as is at first and you might be surprised and not even change the bushings out as so many people I know have come to realise since they upgraded the stock bushings a couple of years back.

100% agree there

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #10257 on: June 22, 2021, 04:51:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I am often surprised by how reasonable the stock Indy bushings are these days, especially considering being somewhat of an Indy lifer, the old stock bushings would not even get a stand on and I would be taking them off before I even stood on the board.

The Stage 11 trucks come with 90 duro and bounce back really well, almost right from go if you are not too heavy on your board and ease them in, eg first session just roll around on them feeling them out and more so carving than doing big tricks (even on flat) but if they do feel a touch too tight from go, cut a mm or so from the top bushing and they loosen up a whole lot more as well.

That said, I have a lifetime supply of the 92 duro low head bushings which I know and love, right from the first session, so all my trucks have those, as well as the aftermarket Indy bushings being really good and long lasting too.

Maybe try them as is at first and you might be surprised and not even change the bushings out as so many people I know have come to realise since they upgraded the stock bushings a couple of years back.

Expand Quote
[close]

100% agree there

Love the combo of the blue low top and stock orange barrel bottom. And to rosemaryBB, as a fellow skinny shit, that bushing combo is pretty awesome on Indy's. You don't feel like you have to focus all your body weight to get a good deliberate carve. Stock Indy's, though I love em, can have a real delayed response coming from Aces where you get spoiled with that immediate synched-up turn. 

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #10258 on: June 22, 2021, 06:15:50 PM »
Does Ace bushings work well in indys?

I feel like my current Indy bushings doesnt have much rebound.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10259 on: June 23, 2021, 07:35:19 AM »
Does Ace bushings work well in indys?

I feel like my current Indy bushings doesnt have much rebound.

They can work, depending on how tight you have your trucks as they are a touch taller, but they still go on ok.

Conversely, some left over stock Indy bushings work well in Ace trucks too - did that the other day and they performed very well.

You can always rotate the bushings and see if that changes things at all.  If they are not cracked or coming apart, that has worked well in the past for other people I know.  Just put a line or dot on them before you move them, so you know where they were sitting and rotate them a 1/4 turn and see if that helps.