Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220787 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10710 on: January 15, 2022, 01:49:11 AM »
I started running indy conical 92s in my venture 5.6 hollows. It doesn't change the turn nearly as much as I thought it would.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10711 on: January 15, 2022, 04:01:06 AM »
anybody ever tried or currently using the Qwiktrucks quick release system?

After watching the video of it giving extra weight and adding the equivalent of 1/4" height, I thought that was one amazing invention that will not be on any of my boards.

Ever.

That said, I am sure someone somewhere has a use for them.

Just not me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #10712 on: January 15, 2022, 06:59:35 AM »
anybody ever tried or currently using the Qwiktrucks quick release system?

They cost more than buying a second deck to use with your second set of trucks, are heavy and tall as fuck. 

Hard pass.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #10713 on: January 15, 2022, 07:27:07 AM »
I started running indy conical 92s in my venture 5.6 hollows. It doesn't change the turn nearly as much as I thought it would.

Your still dealing with the geometry.  You can ditch washers and roll bushings to get a bit more of this or a bit less of that, but the geometry is pretty fixed.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #10714 on: January 19, 2022, 07:18:55 AM »
Can I get a truck recommendation? Need 8.5", and I skate larger wheels (56-57mm) so I prefer a higher truck. I would use risers if I had to though. I want a truck on the lighter side with some good turn. I was thinking possibly Thunder hollow lights with risers or hollow Indy's.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #10715 on: January 19, 2022, 07:41:09 AM »
Can I get a truck recommendation? Need 8.5", and I skate larger wheels (56-57mm) so I prefer a higher truck. I would use risers if I had to though. I want a truck on the lighter side with some good turn. I was thinking possibly Thunder hollow lights with risers or hollow Indy's.

You really can't go wrong with Indy 159s
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10716 on: January 19, 2022, 07:46:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been skating the Indy hollows (cast, not forged) as of late and they feel perfect.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #10717 on: January 19, 2022, 08:05:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://destructotrucks.com/products/d1-squadron-raw-mid

At a massive 58mm, can’t forget about these.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #10718 on: January 19, 2022, 08:21:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why 159's over 149's for an 8.5" deck? Couldn't I just run 149s with a couple extra washers?

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #10719 on: January 19, 2022, 08:25:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

These look sick, I wonder if they turn good?

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #10720 on: January 19, 2022, 08:52:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Why 159's over 149's for an 8.5" deck? Couldn't I just run 149s with a couple extra washers?
That's what I do. That way I can ride an 8.25 or an 8.5 if I want.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #10721 on: January 19, 2022, 08:54:40 AM »
I'd just get indy 149 standards and call it a day. I don't think the hollows are worth it personally. Especially if you're running 56mm+ wheels.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 116
« Reply #10722 on: January 19, 2022, 09:02:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The regular Destructos I think are an underrated truck.  Never had any issues with turning.  I mostly have run Ventures and they are significantly surfier.  If you run loose though you may want to grab a set of their softer bushings.  Stock bushings are pretty hard

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #10723 on: January 19, 2022, 11:49:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sure man, get whatever. Both are great trucks. I like 'em a little wide but 149 works perfectly, too
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #10724 on: January 19, 2022, 12:07:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The regular Destructos I think are an underrated truck.  Never had any issues with turning.  I mostly have run Ventures and they are significantly surfier.  If you run loose though you may want to grab a set of their softer bushings.  Stock bushings are pretty hard

The destructo D1 you'd say is turnier than ventures?

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 116
« Reply #10725 on: January 19, 2022, 12:29:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Used Venture as the example because that's the stereotype of them not turning.
Take this with a grain of salt since I only have Indys on a cruiser setup but the D1s feel similar.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #10726 on: January 19, 2022, 02:52:05 PM »
For any of y’all riding Riptide bushings in Thunders, which ones do you run? They give measurements in inches and it seems like their heights might be shorter than stock Thunder (maybe I’m trippin, I don’t know). Does it seem like a shorter bushing? Dropping the angle/wheel biting more/compressing to even shorter over time?
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10727 on: January 21, 2022, 09:48:38 AM »
For any of y’all riding Riptide bushings in Thunders, which ones do you run? They give measurements in inches and it seems like their heights might be shorter than stock Thunder (maybe I’m trippin, I don’t know). Does it seem like a shorter bushing? Dropping the angle/wheel biting more/compressing to even shorter over time?

I mixed and matched because the Thunder bottom bushing is fucking huge compared to all the other bushings out there.

TOP: RipTide KranK Short Street Cone (Color: White, Durometer: 87a) - same size as stock thunders

BOTTOM: Venom Pastel Blue SHR Super Carve Cones (86a) - NOTE: it's a bit taller than the thunder bushing but would compress down in short order (I sanded mine down a little, literally like 2min worth of shaving it down).

This was the best combo I found for Thunders as I feel the stock bushings are trash (they work but have crappy rebound).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10728 on: January 21, 2022, 12:50:56 PM »
I’d consider even just running thunders and just get the riptide pivot cup….

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10729 on: January 21, 2022, 03:41:49 PM »
I’d consider even just running thunders and just get the riptide pivot cup….
seconded
did it back when i rode thunders
made everything 3x smoother
this with ace classic bushings was my jam
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #10730 on: January 21, 2022, 07:24:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

They definitely turn, and they’re dirt cheap compared to many of the more popular options. They also feel very tall if you’re used to something that’s mid-height (or lower). I have them on the 8.125” Anti-Hero Eagle with 55mm F4 O.G. Classics and it’s the monster truck of my collection. I haven’t tried them with softer bushings, though. I’m trying to break in the stock black bushings and I like how they skate for the most part, but I think these would be pretty lively with some cushy bushings.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #10731 on: January 23, 2022, 12:47:03 PM »
Did Indy update the design of 215’s at some point in the past couple years?  I was looking at some for sale online and the ones that still have the iron cross logo on the baseplate (which I assume are older) have a hanger that tapers on the ends and the back of the hanger looks thinner.  The ones without the iron cross logo (which I assume are newer ones) do not have the taper at the edge of the hanger and appear to have a thicker hanger towards the center of the truck.  I dont remember seeing any type of advertised update but I may have just missed it.  Never skated 215’s before and I was curious if there’s any noticeable difference in performance. 

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #10732 on: January 23, 2022, 01:53:46 PM »
Yeah they changed the 215s to stage 11 geo a year or so ago. Running a set on my 10.25 now.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10733 on: January 23, 2022, 03:17:32 PM »
Did Indy update the design of 215’s at some point in the past couple years?  I was looking at some for sale online and the ones that still have the iron cross logo on the baseplate (which I assume are older) have a hanger that tapers on the ends and the back of the hanger looks thinner.  The ones without the iron cross logo (which I assume are newer ones) do not have the taper at the edge of the hanger and appear to have a thicker hanger towards the center of the truck.  I dont remember seeing any type of advertised update but I may have just missed it.  Never skated 215’s before and I was curious if there’s any noticeable difference in performance.

I think they also changed the kingpin (now longer) to run more like the early stages, with taller bushings.

Someone on here was comparing them and their existing other Independent Stage 11 trucks were different in that regard.

The old old Indy trucks had such a tall kingpin, taller top and bottom bushings and virtually zero clearance.

I only have a set of the Stage 11 pre change, which are still the same as all the other Stage 11 trucks in baseplate, kingpin, bushings, etc so don't have any pics for comparison, but I can post a pic of the old trucks that look similar now.

This was the one I was looking for:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125109054153

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10734 on: January 23, 2022, 03:20:36 PM »
Yeah they changed the 215s to stage 11 geo a year or so ago. Running a set on my 10.25 now.

How do you find the clearance on them?

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #10735 on: January 23, 2022, 03:42:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think they also changed the kingpin (now longer) to run more like the early stages, with taller bushings.

Someone on here was comparing them and their existing other Independent Stage 11 trucks were different in that regard.

The old old Indy trucks had such a tall kingpin, taller top and bottom bushings and virtually zero clearance.

I only have a set of the Stage 11 pre change, which are still the same as all the other Stage 11 trucks in baseplate, kingpin, bushings, etc so don't have any pics for comparison, but I can post a pic of the old trucks that look similar now.

This was the comparison picture I was looking at which I’m assuming are the version from a couple years ago (with the cross logo) before the most recent redesign.  They do seem to have a lower kingpin and more of a conical bushing shape than the current ones.  I’m just wondering which geometry is better basically.  The newer (older looking? haha) ones without the cross logo remind me of old Indys from the late 90’s/early 2000’s with virtually no kingpin clearance which is kind of cool in an impractical nostalgic way. 

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #10736 on: January 23, 2022, 04:44:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Kingpin clearance is the same as all my others(159/169). I’m running 54mm wheels with 1/8 riser Indy super softs(f/r) shaved into conicals with the standard top bushing so they’re floppy loose. The bushings are taller for the top on these so a standard top will give you a ton of room to run them loose. Ie: bottom and top bushings on the new 215s are the same as running 2 bottoms now. No issues with hanging  up or wheelbite. Only issue I had was it felt like I was over shooting every grind trying to lock them but that’s what happens when you go from a 159 to 215. No complaints.

globe fusion

• Rep: 3
« Reply #10737 on: January 24, 2022, 08:21:38 PM »
ust jumped on and too lazy to scroll through all the pages.

am riding ace classics right now (44 on 8.5, stock bushings, no bottom cup), getting bothered by the stability on ollies.

am debating to switch to venture or thunder

what's the consensus on 6.1 on 8.5? or is 5.8 the way to go?
difference between light's and regulars? the lights are lower, and i believe the hanger is a bit far back, thus extending the wb.

how does the wb on venture compare to thunders?
the turn vs. thunder and ace?

or is af1 a better truck ?

if you have any other info, comments etc. feel free to reply or pm.

thank you for your time and help

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #10738 on: January 24, 2022, 08:51:04 PM »
What does no bottom cup do? Seems like it’ll be sloppier since the bottom bushing is able to mash out around the baseplate

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10739 on: January 25, 2022, 03:24:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This was the comparison picture I was looking at which I’m assuming are the version from a couple years ago (with the cross logo) before the most recent redesign.  They do seem to have a lower kingpin and more of a conical bushing shape than the current ones.  I’m just wondering which geometry is better basically.  The newer (older looking? haha) ones without the cross logo remind me of old Indys from the late 90’s/early 2000’s with virtually no kingpin clearance which is kind of cool in an impractical nostalgic way.

Yes those are the ones I have - still new / unused as I just don't have anything I feel like they would work well on, but they are not going anywhere so they can just stay there until needed, if ever.  Most of my bigger boards are just fine with standard 169s, but if I ever need the wider option, at least I have a set ready to go.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Kingpin clearance is the same as all my others(159/169). I’m running 54mm wheels with 1/8 riser Indy super softs(f/r) shaved into conicals with the standard top bushing so they’re floppy loose. The bushings are taller for the top on these so a standard top will give you a ton of room to run them loose. Ie: bottom and top bushings on the new 215s are the same as running 2 bottoms now. No issues with hanging  up or wheelbite. Only issue I had was it felt like I was over shooting every grind trying to lock them but that’s what happens when you go from a 159 to 215. No complaints.

Thanks!

Interesting info.

I seem to recall the new ones having almost zero kingpin clearance, as per a set I saw in a shop the other day with no front cross logo, but all my normal Indy Stage 11s have a ton of clearance, including the set of Stage 11 215s I had from when they were still stamped with USA on the baseplate.