Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221064 times)

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11760 on: November 15, 2022, 11:01:50 AM »
I've been squirting a pump of some of my aveeno lotion onto a kleenex and then ill just dab my finger in it and wipe it on all the contact points of the hanger and it's been doing better with less mess than wax. I'm sure some pure petrolium jelly would work the same. Never thought about motor oil, that's a good tip for sure.

ambiguousclarity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #11761 on: November 15, 2022, 06:09:17 PM »
I’ve been trying out narrower decks lately, mainly because a work mate has given me lightly used decks. I just set up an 8.125 with a combo of thunder baseplates and mini logo hangers and bushings. Surprisingly, work well and make for a more stable feel than standard mini logo trucks. I’m also enjoying riding narrower boards.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #11762 on: November 16, 2022, 02:41:48 PM »
I’ve been trying out narrower decks lately, mainly because a work mate has given me lightly used decks. I just set up an 8.125 with a combo of thunder baseplates and mini logo hangers and bushings. Surprisingly, work well and make for a more stable feel than standard mini logo trucks. I’m also enjoying riding narrower boards.

I've been on an 8-8.125" since spring and it's the best. I don't see myself going back and now I have a few 8.25"s I don't know what I'll do with. Another bonus to the 8" decks are that they're not particularly popular and hence always seem to be on closeout.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #11763 on: November 16, 2022, 03:58:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been on an 8-8.125" since spring and it's the best. I don't see myself going back and now I have a few 8.25"s I don't know what I'll do with. Another bonus to the 8" decks are that they're not particularly popular and hence always seem to be on closeout.

Bigger boards, were for me, a novelty. Kind of like wearing tight pants.
8s are really functional, again, for me, and the type of skating I like. I also just tired myself out of trying different combinations of stuff, looking for some delicate balance, when if I grab an 8 ish board, I can get adjusted to it really quickly.

ambiguousclarity

« Reply #11764 on: November 16, 2022, 07:29:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve noticed there are plenty of 8-8.25 in sale stock. At the start of the year I was riding 8.6 and up. Same workmate gave me an 8.25 Real deck, which started me on the road to narrower boards. I’ve got an 8.5 and 8.3 set up, but I’m preferring the 8.125 at the moment. I like changing it up, keeps it interesting and fun.

ambiguousclarity

« Reply #11765 on: November 16, 2022, 07:38:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

8s are really functional, again, for me, and the type of skating I like. I also just tired myself out of trying different combinations of stuff, looking for some delicate balance, when if I grab an 8 ish board, I can get adjusted to it really quickly.
Might be too early for me to decide one way or another. I certainly like how narrower boards feel. I’m getting to the point where I’ve tried enough different sizes, shapes and trucks to land on more permanent setup range. The truck combo is is working a treat.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #11766 on: November 16, 2022, 07:47:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Bigger boards were definitely a thing I kinda thought I was supposed to do as an old guy returning to skating after a decade or so hiatus (where I had a soggy Antihero price point deck I would take out a few times a year). I don’t regret anything (except the Welcome deck) - it definitely got me to where I am now, which I’m fairly happy with.

And I’ve got a paid of 149 Reynolds and 159 titanium sitting around should I decide to mix it up.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #11767 on: November 17, 2022, 02:44:30 AM »
I just put some new Indy black bushings and a set of 1/8 risers in and under a set of new Venture 6.1s since it was instant wheelbite on stock bushings, stock tightness, and no risers. Dug out an old 8.5, slapped on some wider 50mm wheels…excited to see what this setup brings. Easily the widest trucks I have ever ridden.

Mick

• Rep: 25
« Reply #11768 on: November 18, 2022, 12:40:37 AM »
8” Thunders (147) vs 8” Independent (139s) size difference
Has anybody else switched from Indy’s  to Thunders? I did, & now I’m kinda worried about my grinds.
What is your experience with switching?
pic sharing
These are just straight up not the same size truck

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #11769 on: November 18, 2022, 01:18:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Has anybody else switched from Indy’s  to Thunders? I did, & now I’m kinda worried about my grinds.
pic sharing
[close]

This. They should be exactly the same width

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #11770 on: November 18, 2022, 01:49:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
pic sharing
[close]
[close]

This. They should be exactly the same width
Is that person sure those aren't 145 or 146 Thunders, and not 147? Regardless, thay is odd. They don't look like the same size at all.

Thunder
149 = 8.5
148 = 8.25
147 = 8
146 = 7.75 (not sure if this size exists or not)
145 = 7.5
Super Champion Fun Zone

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 31
« Reply #11771 on: November 18, 2022, 03:04:47 AM »
That have to be at least 149 Indies, I just checked my 147 thunders and 144 Indies and it is less of a difference than this.

edit: Photos are shit, but you'll get the point.

edit 2: Thunder 149 vs Thunder 147 for comparison. Indies 149 are mounted currently and hard to compare and I don't want to unmount them right now.

edit 3: Forgot that I had 1444 Thunder as well. Thunder 144 and Indy 144. They are the same width. And yes I have a Problem.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 12:33:51 PM by ImmanuelCunt »

Rosstradahmus

• Rep: 1
« Reply #11772 on: November 20, 2022, 09:43:32 PM »
Standard Venture 5.8's with the loose trucks bushings and a Kreper pin.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11773 on: December 09, 2022, 06:59:55 PM »
Standard Venture 5.8's with the loose trucks bushings and a Kreper pin.

Maybe a bit late, but did you have to angle grind down the end of the kingpin on those?

Most other low head bushings don't seem to fit in the inverted kingpin sets, as they have the set length kingpins, or even worse, have set thread limit, but goodness there is zero kingpin hangup on those hey?!?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11774 on: December 10, 2022, 06:29:02 AM »
What the hell are origin trucks. Just came in:

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/origin-shop

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #11775 on: December 10, 2022, 07:30:04 AM »
What the hell are origin trucks.

The fugliest trucks in quite some time.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11776 on: December 10, 2022, 07:56:00 AM »
How big are y'all riding 8-8.125? I had an 8" Polar I liked with a 14.25WB and 139s, but eventually went back up to 144 and it got stolen from my car in my parking garage. These days I'm on 8.25-8.38 mostly with 14.38 and honestly not sure I could feasibly go down below that and lose pop, but I do wonder. I'm 6 foot 3 with a size 10

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11777 on: December 10, 2022, 09:09:34 AM »
How big are y'all riding 8-8.125? I had an 8" Polar I liked with a 14.25WB and 139s, but eventually went back up to 144 and it got stolen from my car in my parking garage. These days I'm on 8.25-8.38 mostly with 14.38 and honestly not sure I could feasibly go down below that and lose pop, but I do wonder. I'm 6 foot 3 with a size 10

I'm currently riding an 8.0 board because I panic-bought every availlable ishod twin tail two years ago when they were still rare and all 8.25 were gone.
First skated it with 8.0 thunders on risers but felt much more comfortable after switching to 8.25 thunders. Flip tricks feel the same, but it somehow makes such a big difference on ledges and transition.

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #11778 on: January 07, 2023, 10:15:00 PM »
Through all the madness of lowering kingpins whether it be using an angle grinder or going the inverted route, I had a random idea that seems super easy but I don’t think any fellow truck schizos on here have mentioned trying it. Put on a low top bushing and set the nut so everything is tightened down properly, then with all the excess kingpin sticking up just snip it off with a bolt cutter that has 3/8” cutting capacity. Boom, done. Worst case might need to rethread the tip where it was cut?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11779 on: January 07, 2023, 10:54:12 PM »
What the hell are origin trucks. Just came in:

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/origin-shop

For those who skated krux and thought…..‘I need more hole…’

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #11780 on: January 08, 2023, 01:15:39 PM »
Anyone have suggestions on modding venture/Indy/thunder with an inverted kingpin?

I’ve seen some with the kreper kingpin and the krux downlow as well. From what I remember it’s only able to be done on cast plates not forged?

I have a bunch of old spare trucks that I’d love to have some fun and convert to an IKP setup.

Is it required to JB weld the bottom? 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #11781 on: January 08, 2023, 04:03:38 PM »
Yes, cast baseplates and something older ie. I had problems with newer thunder cast plates.  I jammed a screw driver to lock the nut and get my trucks to the right tightness, mounted them, and didn’t touch them and I was fine.  The JB more so helps it from coming loose.  I think too you could skate a low bushing to get a few more threads…,

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #11782 on: January 08, 2023, 08:10:05 PM »
when is someone going to release a good inverted kingpin truck that either has a threaded baseplate or a notched nut hole to slit the nut into. Slappy could have done this as standard as king pin clearance is always the unsolved mystery with most trucks. Hate the sound of a grinding kingpin.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11783 on: January 08, 2023, 08:55:19 PM »
when is someone going to release a good inverted kingpin truck that either has a threaded baseplate or a notched nut hole to slit the nut into. Slappy could have done this as standard as king pin clearance is always the unsolved mystery with most trucks. Hate the sound of a grinding kingpin.

Royal did a good job with their IKP, I think they did a threaded baseplate. The pair I rode didn't rattle loose but the bushings were way too soft. Started out medium but got way too mushy after a few months.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #11784 on: January 08, 2023, 11:26:42 PM »
Royal, Indy/krux and slappy all have a threaded plate w/shaft nut (and the same pin; coincidence?)…where ya been?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 07:26:40 PM by Xen »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #11785 on: January 09, 2023, 02:25:04 AM »

Are you meaning just a standard kingpin nut that sits in the baseplate, like the old Krux inverted kingpins sat in their baseplates or some other brands used to do?  I just can't remember which brands I have seen, but there were a few - old Indy, Thunder and others have all worked with those, with the old hex head baseplates.

To me this would be a better option than the built in kingpin nuts with shaft and solid components, as you could change it out whenever you needed to.

I guess this also came with its own problems back in the day as the baseplate hole would oval out, as per a few sets I have seen from others who did that mod on them, but at least it was way easier to swap out just the nut as needed.

The newer Thunder baseplate with the hex bottom is way easier to just use a standard kingpin nut at least.

Not sure if you have seen them, but pics here in the Thunder thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118215.msg3731535#msg3731535

Or this one from way earlier, maybe the first time this was posted:

Looks like Thunder is setting the kingpin deeper into the baseplate now. Should allow to get them a little bit looser.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #11786 on: January 09, 2023, 07:16:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you meaning just a standard kingpin nut that sits in the baseplate, like the old Krux inverted kingpins sat in their baseplates or some other brands used to do?  I just can't remember which brands I have seen, but there were a few - old Indy, Thunder and others have all worked with those, with the old hex head baseplates.

To me this would be a better option than the built in kingpin nuts with shaft and solid components, as you could change it out whenever you needed to.

I guess this also came with its own problems back in the day as the baseplate hole would oval out, as per a few sets I have seen from others who did that mod on them, but at least it was way easier to swap out just the nut as needed.

The newer Thunder baseplate with the hex bottom is way easier to just use a standard kingpin nut at least.

Expand Quote
Looks like Thunder is setting the kingpin deeper into the baseplate now. Should allow to get them a little bit looser.

[close]

I remember having trucks in the 90s we’d invert the kingpins on as they had hex shaped holes in the baseplate.  Plus have sworn they were Indy’s.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #11787 on: January 09, 2023, 09:40:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I remember having trucks in the 90s we’d invert the kingpins on as they had hex shaped holes in the baseplate.  Plus have sworn they were Indy’s.

If I remember correctly, Indy’s had a hex shaped hole for the kingpin up until stage 9. I remember breaking kingpins on stage 8 a lot, then when stage 9 came out they had the new “unbreakable” kingpins with the round head.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #11788 on: January 09, 2023, 09:50:45 AM »
I remember when the stage 9 came out. never broke a kingpin on stage 8’s. but I remember breaking at least 2-3 kingpins on separate pairs of stage 9’s. at the time I weighed 110 lbs soaking wet. 🤣 don’t miss those trucks. also pretty sure that was Indy’s shortest lived stage.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #11789 on: January 09, 2023, 10:16:24 AM »
I remember when the stage 9 came out. never broke a kingpin on stage 8’s. but I remember breaking at least 2-3 kingpins on separate pairs of stage 9’s. at the time I weighed 110 lbs soaking wet. 🤣 don’t miss those trucks. also pretty sure that was Indy’s shortest lived stage.

I never broke kingpins on stage 9, but I had a few baseplates split in half. They upgraded the baseplates mid run, so there was kind of a stage 9.5 truck for a while.

I definitely remember them advertising the kingpins as “unbreakable” on stage 9