Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221469 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11790 on: January 09, 2023, 01:32:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
when is someone going to release a good inverted kingpin truck that either has a threaded baseplate or a notched nut hole to slit the nut into. Slappy could have done this as standard as king pin clearance is always the unsolved mystery with most trucks. Hate the sound of a grinding kingpin.
[close]

Are you meaning just a standard kingpin nut that sits in the baseplate, like the old Krux inverted kingpins sat in their baseplates or some other brands used to do?  I just can't remember which brands I have seen, but there were a few - old Indy, Thunder and others have all worked with those, with the old hex head baseplates.

To me this would be a better option than the built in kingpin nuts with shaft and solid components, as you could change it out whenever you needed to.

I guess this also came with its own problems back in the day as the baseplate hole would oval out, as per a few sets I have seen from others who did that mod on them, but at least it was way easier to swap out just the nut as needed.

The newer Thunder baseplate with the hex bottom is way easier to just use a standard kingpin nut at least.

[close]

I remember having trucks in the 90s we’d invert the kingpins on as they had hex shaped holes in the baseplate.  Plus have sworn they were Indy’s.
[close]

If I remember correctly, Indy’s had a hex shaped hole for the kingpin up until stage 9. I remember breaking kingpins on stage 8 a lot, then when stage 9 came out they had the new “unbreakable” kingpins with the round head.

I think the normal hex kingpin was replaced just before 2000 with the new button head, so every truck up til then had an easier option to just push out the normal kingpin to put in another or put something else in like the inverted kingpins.

That innovation was said to make kingpins way lighter and more stable in the baseplate, but for anyone needing to remove it or replace it, often it was not so much fun.

Expand Quote
I remember when the stage 9 came out. never broke a kingpin on stage 8’s. but I remember breaking at least 2-3 kingpins on separate pairs of stage 9’s. at the time I weighed 110 lbs soaking wet. 🤣 don’t miss those trucks. also pretty sure that was Indy’s shortest lived stage.
[close]

I never broke kingpins on stage 9, but I had a few baseplates split in half. They upgraded the baseplates mid run, so there was kind of a stage 9.5 truck for a while.

I definitely remember them advertising the kingpins as “unbreakable” on stage 9

With you on the Stage 9 - so many baseplates broke and lots of returns / warranty claims put in for those things while working at a bigger shop.

I think I accumulated a whole lot of hangers in that period, whereas all other stages it was the hanger that wore out so I was able to recycle more hangers during and after they came out with the solid baseplate.  Now I am back to having more baseplates than hangers, but it was an interesting time.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #11791 on: January 09, 2023, 03:09:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
when is someone going to release a good inverted kingpin truck that either has a threaded baseplate or a notched nut hole to slit the nut into. Slappy could have done this as standard as king pin clearance is always the unsolved mystery with most trucks. Hate the sound of a grinding kingpin.
[close]

Are you meaning just a standard kingpin nut that sits in the baseplate, like the old Krux inverted kingpins sat in their baseplates or some other brands used to do?  I just can't remember which brands I have seen, but there were a few - old Indy, Thunder and others have all worked with those, with the old hex head baseplates.

To me this would be a better option than the built in kingpin nuts with shaft and solid components, as you could change it out whenever you needed to.

I guess this also came with its own problems back in the day as the baseplate hole would oval out, as per a few sets I have seen from others who did that mod on them, but at least it was way easier to swap out just the nut as needed.

The newer Thunder baseplate with the hex bottom is way easier to just use a standard kingpin nut at least.

Not sure if you have seen them, but pics here in the Thunder thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118215.msg3731535#msg3731535

Or this one from way earlier, maybe the first time this was posted:

Expand Quote
Looks like Thunder is setting the kingpin deeper into the baseplate now. Should allow to get them a little bit looser.

[close]
[close]

I remember having trucks in the 90s we’d invert the kingpins on as they had hex shaped holes in the baseplate.  Plus have sworn they were Indy’s.
[close]

If I remember correctly, Indy’s had a hex shaped hole for the kingpin up until stage 9. I remember breaking kingpins on stage 8 a lot, then when stage 9 came out they had the new “unbreakable” kingpins with the round head.

Bingo!!  Good to know I’m not nuts. Hacksawing those kingpins was a turd but we’d grind them through the axle and needed all the clearance we could get.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #11792 on: January 09, 2023, 04:49:21 PM »
I remember when the stage 9 came out. never broke a kingpin on stage 8’s. but I remember breaking at least 2-3 kingpins on separate pairs of stage 9’s. at the time I weighed 110 lbs soaking wet. 🤣 don’t miss those trucks. also pretty sure that was Indy’s shortest lived stage.

Stage 9 were horrible. I remember bending all the axles on the 3 pairs I had...

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11793 on: January 09, 2023, 05:00:37 PM »
anybody got any experience with Grind King Disruptors? I got them somewhat recently and have barely used them because I think they don't turn very well. I just got them some aftermarket 88a Indy bushings with the tapered bottom bushings and they improved a good amount but I'd still like to hear your thoughts/opinions/tips/tricks

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #11794 on: January 09, 2023, 06:02:40 PM »
anybody got any experience with Grind King Disruptors? I got them somewhat recently and have barely used them because I think they don't turn very well. I just got them some aftermarket 88a Indy bushings with the tapered bottom bushings and they improved a good amount but I'd still like to hear your thoughts/opinions/tips/tricks

In my experience they were okay-ish, they're weird. They grind really well, it's a piss take you need the proprietary tool to tighten, take apart, etc. which I think sullied my view on them. And then went insane trying to figure out how to make the turn actually good.
The stock bushings kinda suck ass and so does the turn. I think you're on the right track with the Indy bushings, but they can get very bitey.

I know another person who also got them and slowly went into bushing insanity thanks to the Disruptors.

I got some around August/September and I think the warning sign was the fact the shop owner had never heard of them but they mysteriously had a pair at the back of the truck cabinet. Backrooms cryptid ass truck.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 90
« Reply #11795 on: January 22, 2023, 05:03:35 PM »
Has anyone ever combined ace low baseplates with Indy hangers?  I have ace f1 lows and switched back to my forged hollow Indys today and I immediately missed the ace low turn but the grind is 10x better.  So my brain tells me to put the hanger on the ace baseplates.  Why will I regret this?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 840
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #11796 on: January 23, 2023, 02:04:31 PM »
Why will I regret this?
be sure to let us know, trailblazer
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #11797 on: January 24, 2023, 10:38:04 AM »
Carbon fiber plates (appear to be a one off for funsies)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnyMolmLQQh/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 10:47:07 AM by Xen »

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #11798 on: January 24, 2023, 11:30:31 AM »

these are pretty incredible. I wonder how they would hold up to some noseslides. He's obviously not going to be using these for curbs and ledges though.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #11799 on: January 24, 2023, 12:41:07 PM »

The opposite of Mullen, who used to tape loose ball bearings into his truck baseplates to make them heavier.  I think it had to do with adjusting the location of the center mass so flips would rotate in a certain way.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #11800 on: January 24, 2023, 12:44:01 PM »

I love it. Wanna see skaters go full weight weenie.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #11801 on: January 29, 2023, 06:10:11 AM »
https://youtu.be/MYT3EFHOu24

Bucky’s DIY trucks

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11802 on: January 29, 2023, 08:01:28 AM »
https://youtu.be/MYT3EFHOu24

Bucky’s DIY trucks

I didn't watch the whole thing, but does he not, at any point, put them on a scale? What's the point of a video documenting your weight weenie trucks if you're not even going to give us the weight? Also I am curious how he got the kingpin in. Seems like flanges on the kingpin might deform the carbon fiber in an undesirable way.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11804 on: January 29, 2023, 09:31:57 AM »

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #11805 on: January 29, 2023, 09:59:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No. Nopesies. Nyet.  One of the best parts about skating is the relatively affordable, dirt simple, universally compatible gear. I dabble in mtb and hiking gorpery and the weight wienerdom and proprietary bs is insufferable. I mean, part of me wants to see it, but big picture me knows an over emotional attachment to quantifiable stats and crushes on expensive materials is for old dudes that spend way more time dorking out than actively participating.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11806 on: January 29, 2023, 10:01:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

No. Nopesies. Nyet.  One of the best parts about skating is the relatively affordable, dirt simple, universally compatible gear. I dabble in mtb and hiking gorpery and the weight wienerdom and proprietary bs is insufferable. I mean, part of me wants to see it, but big picture me knows an over emotional attachment to quantifiable stats and crushes on expensive materials is for old dudes that spend way more time dorking out than actively participating.

Yeah man I just think it’ll be funny

Jacob DeGrosso

• Rep: 16
« Reply #11807 on: January 29, 2023, 10:13:14 AM »

[/quote]

old dudes that spend way more time dorking out than actively participating.
[/quote]

Is this too long for a username?

Bill Salt

« Reply #11808 on: January 29, 2023, 10:16:43 AM »
I ride Indys Titanium 144 standard cyllinder bushings but I am a bit disapointed by the quality of the whole thing.
The pivot cup are lose and the hanger aren't locked like before...and might get back to standards

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11809 on: January 29, 2023, 07:16:03 PM »
Anyone rode the Indy Mid Forged Hollow? The lower height (50.5mm) sounds interesting, but their implementation of the IKP has been poor.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #11810 on: January 29, 2023, 07:45:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah man I just think it’ll be funny

I can dig it

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #11811 on: January 29, 2023, 10:57:59 PM »
Anyone rode the Indy Mid Forged Hollow? The lower height (50.5mm) sounds interesting, but their implementation of the IKP has been poor.

I didn’t feel like dealing with the IKP, so I put that on a cruiser where it won’t take as much abuse and I just put the 144 Mid hanger on the regular forged plate. 52-53mm is about the max you can go before the wheelbite gets annoying.

I like the trucks, though. Not the lightest lows out there, but they’re solid and more stable than the tall Indys. Less surfy, more nimble. I like ’em for skating little ledges and mini ramps. Feel a bit out of their element at a big concrete park, but I’d give em a try if you like lower trucks.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11812 on: January 29, 2023, 11:14:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I didn’t feel like dealing with the IKP, so I put that on a cruiser where it won’t take as much abuse and I just put the 144 Mid hanger on the regular forged plate. 52-53mm is about the max you can go before the wheelbite gets annoying.

I like the trucks, though. Not the lightest lows out there, but they’re solid and more stable than the tall Indys. Less surfy, more nimble. I like ’em for skating little ledges and mini ramps. Feel a bit out of their element at a big concrete park, but I’d give em a try if you like lower trucks.

Mixing hangers and baseplates, such an obvious answer! But that means getting 2 pairs of trucks which I'm not so hot on.

Still a good work around until Venture can figure out their LO at 5.6 and up.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #11813 on: January 30, 2023, 03:35:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

May I ask which height you got with that combination?
IG: @flowterspace

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #11814 on: January 30, 2023, 06:34:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

May I ask which height you got with that combination?

forged mids are 50.5mm

ambiguousclarity

• Rep: 10
« Reply #11815 on: February 09, 2023, 02:57:07 AM »
How big are y'all riding 8-8.125? I had an 8" Polar I liked with a 14.25WB and 139s, but eventually went back up to 144 and it got stolen from my car in my parking garage. These days I'm on 8.25-8.38 mostly with 14.38 and honestly not sure I could feasibly go down below that and lose pop, but I do wonder. I'm 6 foot 3 with a size 10
I’m 6 foot, 72-5kg and have size 13 feet. Still switching between 8.125s and 8.5s. Once I’m through my stock of decks, I’ll be sticking with 8.125 or 8.25 as long as the decks don’t taper too much.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #11816 on: February 10, 2023, 04:10:43 AM »
Expand Quote
How big are y'all riding 8-8.125? I had an 8" Polar I liked with a 14.25WB and 139s, but eventually went back up to 144 and it got stolen from my car in my parking garage. These days I'm on 8.25-8.38 mostly with 14.38 and honestly not sure I could feasibly go down below that and lose pop, but I do wonder. I'm 6 foot 3 with a size 10
[close]
I’m 6 foot, 72-5kg and have size 13 feet. Still switching between 8.125s and 8.5s. Once I’m through my stock of decks, I’ll be sticking with 8.125 or 8.25 as long as the decks don’t taper too much.

5’11” size 11 shoe 8.12-8.25

IpathCats

« Reply #11817 on: February 10, 2023, 07:26:50 AM »
I ride Indys Titanium 144 standard cyllinder bushings but I am a bit disapointed by the quality of the whole thing.
The pivot cup are lose and the hanger aren't locked like before...and might get back to standards

The pivot cups just kinda get blown out like that in indys. get riptides.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 71
« Reply #11818 on: February 13, 2023, 10:27:04 AM »
TGM has some 159 Indy Hollows for $42, the same pair on my main setup. I’m tempted to buy them and put them on another setup, but that feels kinda weird, essentially having two identical setups. Have any of y’all ever done that?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #11819 on: February 13, 2023, 10:31:21 AM »
TGM has some 159 Indy Hollows for $42, the same pair on my main setup. I’m tempted to buy them and put them on another setup, but that feels kinda weird, essentially having two identical setups. Have any of y’all ever done that?

Not identical but I have one 8.5 twin with 149 forged hollows and 52mm Spit classics I use for curbs only due to the broader axle and an 8.38 twin with 144 forged hollows and 52 mm Spit classics I use for the rest, in particular flips because it's slightly smaller and ever so slightly magic carpets. I did not plan this it just so happened I got a good deal on the trucks and wheels on a sale and then one lead to another.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro