Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1230806 times)

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 336
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11941 on: January 22, 2024, 10:25:52 AM »
Eh, those Array sleeved washers click like crazy and the sleeve part turned oval and it wouldn't fit a bushing on it anymore. Just use normal cupped washers and call it a day.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #11942 on: January 22, 2024, 12:30:10 PM »
Eh I run these for the same reason, bones like but keep my preferred duro thane… no rounding/ovalling here.

Kingpin loose, sounds like something is loose (super soft bushings?) for that to be able to happen?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1002
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11943 on: January 22, 2024, 12:35:05 PM »
Eh I run these for the same reason, bones like but keep my preferred duro thane… no rounding/ovalling here.

Kingpin loose, sounds like something is loose (super soft bushings?) for that to be able to happen?

Same. Been running the same few pairs I got from Muir Skate 3+ years ago. No ovaling at all. As for clicking, only on indy with new bushings (goes away after a few sessions).

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #11944 on: January 23, 2024, 11:17:30 PM »
This has probably been tackled somewhere before, but anyone else have terrible pop with Thunders? Love the pinch, and have good flick for flip tricks on the right boards, but my pop is pretty weak always. Is this just how it is or is there some sweet spot for tail length i should be looking for or something?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11945 on: January 24, 2024, 09:02:19 AM »
whats your setup
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • sup dog
« Reply #11946 on: January 24, 2024, 09:18:22 AM »
This has probably been tackled somewhere before, but anyone else have terrible pop with Thunders? Love the pinch, and have good flick for flip tricks on the right boards, but my pop is pretty weak always. Is this just how it is or is there some sweet spot for tail length i should be looking for or something?
It’s a lower truck so your tail will hit sooner. Thus, you won’t have the same lift potential that you would with a higher truck like Indy.

Just my guess, but yes do please share setup ^
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11947 on: January 24, 2024, 07:56:04 PM »
shorter nose/tail or a small riser may help.....

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11948 on: January 25, 2024, 03:27:50 AM »
any recommendations on thin bushing washers?
specifically board side and not bones flats
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 9
« Reply #11949 on: January 25, 2024, 05:48:01 AM »

No disrespect, but why do you want to do that? A thinner bottom bushing will change your truck geo and cause your pivot cups to blow out faster.

If you still want to for whatever reason just take your bottom bushing with you to the hardware store and find something with the same diameter as the bushing with your desired thickness.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #11950 on: January 25, 2024, 07:45:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No disrespect, but why do you want to do that? A thinner bottom bushing will change your truck geo and cause your pivot cups to blow out faster.

If you still want to for whatever reason just take your bottom bushing with you to the hardware store and find something with the same diameter as the bushing with your desired thickness.
i dont really care about pivot cups. i replace once and forget

tying to counteract taking a kingpin down via angle grinder
it worked with the bushings i had, not as well for the new set
not fussing about what that did to the geo

would rather not change baseplates if there are other options

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #11951 on: January 25, 2024, 08:38:54 AM »
I want a washer that has the exact same diameter as kingpin, so the washer doesn’t click and clack back and forth on turns.

Drives me nuts.

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #11952 on: January 25, 2024, 09:10:23 AM »
I want a washer that has the exact same diameter as kingpin, so the washer doesn’t click and clack back and forth on turns.

Drives me nuts.

Get some 8 mm washers and drill them to 9,5 mm. Done this couple of times and sometimes requires a little force to get them to the kingpin but they don't ever click.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #11953 on: January 25, 2024, 11:01:39 AM »
Expand Quote

Drives me nuts.
[close]

Get some 8 mm washers and drill them to 9,5 mm. Done this couple of times and sometimes requires a little force to get them to the kingpin but they don't ever click.

Ooh, thank you. Might have to do that if there no perfect match at the hardware store.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #11954 on: January 29, 2024, 09:31:42 AM »
Those kingpin measurements that the professor and Ben are not the measurements I want.

That's kingpin clearance and grind material.

They should get the angle of the kingpin in the baseplate also the angle of the pivot

Then we might better understand why trucks turn differently and if my hypothesis is correct
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11955 on: January 29, 2024, 02:30:23 PM »
Those kingpin measurements that the professor and Ben are not the measurements I want.

That's kingpin clearance and grind material.

They should get the angle of the kingpin in the baseplate also the angle of the pivot

Then we might better understand why trucks turn differently and if my hypothesis is correct

Def clearance/nut angle…damn, those lows haha.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #11956 on: February 22, 2024, 12:23:37 AM »
Didn’t find the answer in this thread, but only used the search function, so hopefully this isn’t asking the same question again:
Does anyone fuck with swapping the hangers, if one hanger is more abused than the other? My front hanger has taken some serious beating due to mainly skateing slappy crooks the last couple of months. Just figured, I might just swap front and back hanger instead of buying a new set of trucks.
Any downsides? What are your findings on this?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #11957 on: February 22, 2024, 02:13:22 AM »
Didn’t find the answer in this thread, but only used the search function, so hopefully this isn’t asking the same question again:
Does anyone fuck with swapping the hangers, if one hanger is more abused than the other? My front hanger has taken some serious beating due to mainly skateing slappy crooks the last couple of months. Just figured, I might just swap front and back hanger instead of buying a new set of trucks.
Sure. That's basically what you do every few seconds when you're riding a twin tail. No harm whatsoever, other than people thinking you're a god at switch fs crooks

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11958 on: February 22, 2024, 02:25:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Sure. That's basically what you do every few seconds when you're riding a twin tail. No harm whatsoever, other than people thinking you're a god at switch fs crooks

ha. It never occured to me, since i never had a truck with a low kingpin that allowed for switching hangars. Hooray for five more months of slappies on the same truck

Thanks for the confirmation

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #11959 on: February 22, 2024, 02:42:47 AM »
I swap hangers and bushings. You'll have double truck life.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11960 on: February 22, 2024, 02:57:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Much appreciated – as my trucks turn quite differently, this would probably give headaches for days breaking them in again

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11961 on: February 22, 2024, 12:03:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Much appreciated – as my trucks turn quite differently, this would probably give headaches for days breaking them in again

Gonna lose them grooves! =(
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 01:17:36 AM by Xen »

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11962 on: February 22, 2024, 09:38:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Gonna loose them grooves! =(
Not for long because new grooves will appear quickly

Mn_Mike

• Rep: 2
« Reply #11963 on: February 23, 2024, 12:34:41 PM »
I really like Indy super soft bushings. I just leave the kingpin nut flush. I ride super loose trucks.